It is probably the best known and most lavish of the Denier propaganda polemics posing as an objective documentary. Basically “The Swindle” attempts to undermine the scientific case for anthropogenic climate change.
In the days and weeks following it’s release the documentary was shredded as being a collection of misrepresentations, errors, lies and outright nonsense:
- “The Great Global Warming Swindle“
- THE GREAT CHANNEL FOUR SWINDLE
- Swindled: Carl Wunsch responds
- An Ongoing Swindle
- Monbiot on the Channel 4 Swindle
- The Great Global Warming Swindle” is itself a Fraud and a Swindle
- Response to “Great Global Warming Swindle”
- Don’t let truth stand in the way of a red-hot debunking of climate change
- A Global Warming Swindle play-by-play
- Swindled Again
- Another Species of Denial
- Channel 4’s Problem with Science
- ABC Australia’s Expert “Swindle” Debate on YouTube
- Channel 4 to be censured over controversial climate film
- for a bit of fun and common sense listen to Marcus Brigstocke Vs. Martin Durkin (audio only).
The OFCOM complaint about the errors and distortions in ‘The Swindle’ runs 176 pages – that’s a lot of nonsense. Complaint to Ofcom Regarding “The Great Global Warming Swindle”
My favourite part of “The Swindle” is Tim Ball identified to be in a Department that never existed [corrected] – classic Denier ‘facts’.
Solar Schmolar: How “The Swindle” misrepresented the facts about solar and sunspot influences.
Think about it.
It was, at the time, their best shot. Considerable resources were put into identifying and explaining the Denier’s best case, the creme de la creme of “skeptic/Denier science” … and it’s all horseshit.
The very best they could manage was an appalling collection of errors, lies, frauds and misrepresentations, presented either by a collection of charlatans, industry shills and ideologues, or by people who had been edited in such a way as to grossly misrepresent what they had to say.
That’s it. That’s their best. That’s the heart and soul of the Denier case, or was as of two years ago.
And now we get George Will.
Will is a Pulitzer Prize winning columnist who recently published a column “Dark Green Doomsayers“, an error filled climate change Denier polemic that would be a blemish on a 1st year journalism student’s record.
Will then attempted to justify this travesty by defending it in the equally misbegotten “Climate Science in A Tornado.”
Will’s columns have been ably shredded by many, many people so I will not repeat their good work.
The titles of these reactions pretty much tell the story and there is obviously a fair amount of overlap, but many are well worth the read … and Backseat Driving (last link) has a suggestion for action.
- Washington Post decides that George Will is entitled to his own facts
- Unchecked Ice: A Saga in Five Chapters
- In a blunder reminiscent of Janet Cooke scandal, the Washington Post lets George Will reassert all his climate falsehoods plus some new ones
- George Will: Liberated From the Burden of Fact-Checking
- George Will’s climate howlers
- George Will and The Washington Post – Reputations gone up in smoke over global warming denialism
- The importance of actually reading what you cite
- Will, you give it up?
- WaPo ombudsman agrees that Will’s sea ice claim was wrong, doesn’t suggest a correction
- Noam Chomsky Excavates the George Will Memory Hole
- Will-fully Wrong
- George Will and the Global Cooling Scare
- GEORGE WILL EMBRACES PALIN-ISM
- Can George Will Save The “Global Cooling” Myth? Uh, No.
- George Will makes up facts in his column denying global warming
- The day DC journalism died: Washington Post is staffed with people who found ZERO mistakes in George Will’s error-filled denial column
- “Will” I be able to think of a witty title for this post?
- Where There’s a (George) Will There’s A Way … To Deny Global Warming
- George F. Will Takes on Science, Loses Credibility
- Hiatt, Will, On Global Warming Misinformation: Talk To The Hand
- Challenging George Will’s Reign of Error
- George Will of Washington Post changes the numbers on global warming
- Fight Global Warming Denial : George Will Distorts the Facts
- The Washington Post’s “Multi-Layer Editing Process”
- Facts Are Stubborn Things: George Will and Climate Change-
- George Will Lies; His Editor Does Nothing
- Science believers!! It is time to eat asparagus and march on the Washington Post!!!
And many, many more links debunking Will found at “Waiting for WaPo” (rediscovered late in the writing 😳 )
UPDATE Mar 30/09 See George F. Will goes platinum for a more comprehensive list of posts and articles exposing Will’s deceit.
I have never seen any Denier nonsense get so thoroughly torn apart – a Global Swarming? not that it isn’t richly deserved.
George Will is not a 1st year journalism student doing their first assignment, although the quality of what he produced might lead you to think so.
As with “The Swindle”, are we asked to believe that Will, with all of the resources he has available, somehow couldn’t find “the real science” that casts doubt on anthropogenic climate change? Is that what we are expected to believe?
And are we being asked to believe that either Durkin and/or Will did not realize that what they were presenting was crap? As mentioned, neither Will nor Durkin are naive 1st year journalism students reporting matters they could not understand.
Now a mature professional, upon discovering that there is no basis to the story they had intended, might either abandon the project entirely, or alternatively make their story about the fact that there is no basis to the Denier position.
Neither Will nor Durkin did so. Instead they went ahead with what they had. They both had the resources and time to get it right, more than enough of both.
They presented crap, knowing it was crap, because they were determined to do anti-science propaganda pieces and crap was all they could find. In some mysterious way the alleged “facts” that expose climate change science as false or flawed could not be found.
I leave it to you to decide which is the more likely explanation:
1) There is real, valid scientific evidence that casts significant doubt on anthropogenic climate change, but despite their experience, skills, contacts, and considerable resources neither Will nor Durkin were able to find it (hidden at Hogwarts perhaps?); or
2) They did find real science supporting the Denier claims, but for some bizarre reason chose to present blithering nonsense and hoaxes instead; or
3) They presented distortions, lies and frauds because that’s all there is to the entire climate change Denier stance. There is nothing else.
Which do you suppose it is?
So there it is. At the end of the day, despite being highly motivated and having considerable resources at their disposal, neither “The Swindle” nor George Will were able to come up with any credible facts or evidence; in fact nothing at all except the usual lies and frauds
For those who wonder whether the climate change Denier claims might have some legitimate basis, you have now seen the best they have to offer … what more do you need to know?
We give our consent every moment that we do not resist.
Denier “Challenge” aka Deathwatch Update: Day 126 … still no evidence.