Like Coby and ScruffyDan (and probably every climate blogger at one point or another) I find that I have to rethink comments policy on this blog. Not surprisingly the issue is the same as elsewhere, the proverbial “shouting match” over the reality of anthropogenic climate change.
The “problem” is perfectly evident on these threads and at every climate rationalist’s site; overwhelmingly some climate change Denier posts uniformed &/or obviously nonsensical repetitions of the same old debunked Denier nonsense. In many cases quite obviously without even having read the post to which they are appended.
While not universally true, typically it is the Denier who does not engage rationally, logically or honestly, responding to refutations by ignoring them and advancing yet another false argument instead.
Further, it is alienating to those simply seeking to understand the issue; simply put, they’re fed up with the bickering. Whether done with this goal in mind or not, it plays into the Denier agenda, so if for no other reason that is enough to want to find some way out of the morass.
However, like Coby I am very loath to censor anyone that is not abusive or an outright spammer, so what to do? I think I am going to tilt more to Dan’s decision to be more stringent, but with an experimental approach viz, let’s see if we can quarantine the silliness.
So there are now three options for comments:
- Comments relevant to a particular post should be appended to the post itself;
- The “Mostly” Open Comment Thread is for most comments that are not relevant to a particular post on this site, but which do not belong in;
- “Challenging the Core Science” Comment Thread is for comments that purport to challenge the core science of anthropogenic climate change (use the IPCC The IPCC Assessment Reports as a baseline for defining “the core science”).
Let’s be clear, there is a huge difference between the naive ‘but I thought CO2 was good for plants?’ and the declarative ‘CO2 is not a pollutant!’ The latter pretends authority, and the standard is now going to be that such claims will either substantiate their statements with reference to credible sources, or be justly ignored for the vacuous idiocy that they are.
The following applies to all comments:
Comments will be also be deleted without mercy &/or have one of the following texts appended, or substituted for it IF:
- It attacks individuals;
- It replicates at length arguments that could simply have been linked;
- It duplicates other comments you have made in this thread or elsewhere on this site;
- It is a copy of a comment that you spam climate sites with.
ALL posters, please do not engage or reply to policy violators. I will be deleting their comments as soon as possible which will leave your comment contextless.
So let’s try this experiment and see how it works…