BPSDBA number of folks have had a look at the more recent Yale Project on Climate Change “Six America’s” study, the breakdown on public perceptions of climate change science.
While I am not quite ready to start discussing this, I think it is important that we remember the broader context within which we operate. For that reason I wanted to share the following:
- Only 53% of adults know how long it takes for the Earth to revolve around the Sun.
- Only 59% of adults know that the earliest humans and dinosaurs did not live at the same time.
- Only 47% of adults can roughly approximate the percent of the Earth’s surface that is covered with water.*
- Only 21% of adults answered all three questions correctly.
- 22 percent believe President Bush knew about the 9/11 attacks in advance.
- 30 percent believe Saddam had weapons of mass destruction.
- 23 percent believe they’ve been in the presence of a ghost.
- 18 percent believe the sun revolves around the Earth.
“About 1 in 4 Americans can name more than one of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment (freedom of speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances.) But more than half of Americans can name at least two members of the fictional cartoon family, according to a survey.
“The study by the new McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum found that 22 percent of Americans could name all five Simpson family members, compared with just 1 in 1,000 people who could name all five First Amendment freedoms.”
These particular studies focus on the United States, but I do not mean to suggest that America is unique in this respect. The numbers and particular beliefs will vary with culture and geography, but the fact remains that the basic demographic will be universal, viz that:
a shocking proportion of any population will be ignorant of things that many others would consider very basic, and
every population will have a hard core (approx 10 to 20%) who are deeply and broadly ignorant, and possibly irredeemably so for all practical purposes.
- Study: climate views of U.S. break down into six broad categories
- US climate poll: the difference a year makes
- Global warming’s “Six Americas”
“Many of America’s most important commercial crops require between 400 and 1800 hours each winter when the temperature is below 45 degrees Fahrenheit.” Earth Gauge
We give our consent every moment that we do not resist.
Denier “Challenge” aka Deathwatch Update: Day 314 … still no evidence.
Comments that are not relevant to the post that they appear under or the evolving discussion will simply be deleted, as will links to Denier spam known to be scientific gibberish