BPSDB Earlier this year we were subjected to a spate of blog posts and faux news about a report from a “Japanese Commission” of “Top Japanese Scientists” that rejected anthropogenic climate change. The ‘report‘ was allegedly the result of work by 5 scientists from the Japan Society of Energy and Resources.
This piece of climate change Denier spam would be scarcely worth mentioning except that in 2 months the Japan Society of Energy and Resources has gone from barely a dozen google hits (English language) to over 12,000, as far as I can tell almost all of them touting the Denier nonsense. As well it has appeared in several of the predictable bastions of anti-science and ignorance such as the National Post and The Australian.
So it appears that this is yet another piece of climate change Denierism that will live eternally as a zombie (ie keep rising from the dead) so I thought it would be useful to have the debunking handy.
The vacuous nature of the so-called ‘report’ and the lack of credential of most of it’s participants has been discussed by James’ Empty Blog in “Much ado about nothing” (as reported in “Japanese climate crank necromancy” and “Same Old Same Old, The Japanese Edition”), so I will summarize and refer you to Annan’s blog for the details.
The ‘report’ is nothing more than an email discussion among the participants … the end. No new information, no new analysis, nada. For the most part the Deniers merely invoke 3 tired old fables, as follows:
- Global Warming has halted (not this idiocy again)
- It’s the sun
- The Models are flawed/inadequate
For those who care I will offer a quick debunking at the end of this post. What I do want to add to the debunking of this silliness is a short profile of just who is the Japan Society of Energy and Resources (JSER).
JSER is a quasi-professional association “to promote the science and technology concerning energy and resources and thus to facilitate cooperation among industry academia and governmental sectors for coping with the problems in this field.”
Nothing wrong with any of that. Professional associations abound in every country to promote every aspect of the pure and applied sciences.
Nor is there necessarily anything untoward about publishing a discussion among it’s members about a topic of current significance in science. That too is common enough with such associations.
However, I confess I have some serious questions about an organization that exists “to promote the science…” actually promoting the sort of anti-science Denierism that this ‘report’ is. If their stance cannot be defended with peer reviewed literature then they should offer a damn good explanation why.
Just to be absolutely clear:
- JSER is an association, it does no research as an organization whatsoever, and that “none” includes climate research;
- JSER is in no way associated with the Japanese Government or with any research institution in any way;
- there is no “report”, it is nothing more than the transcript of an email discussion among 5 people;
- the participants are NOT “a commission”, nor are they “top scientists.” Only one (1) of them was even a climatologist, and he was the one defending the fact of anthropogenic climate change
- there is no new information, nor new analysis offered. It is just a rehash of the same old Denier dreck.
Which brings us to:
Global Warming has halted
It’s the sun
The Models are flawed/inadequate
- The 16 Climate Models
- Global climate models
- Climate Models: An Assessment of Strengths and Limitations
- unreliability of climate models?
- The Climate Models Have it Right
- Ice Core Studies Confirm Accuracy of Climate Models
- On-Line Models
If you want to hear from Japan about the Sun I recommend the New Japan Philharmonic and Far beyond the sun
as better than anything you are ever likely to hear from the Japan Society of Energy and Resources.
We give our consent every moment that we do not resist.
Denier “Challenge” aka Deathwatch Update: Day 155 … still no evidence.