One of the things that potholer54 brings to the exposure of the lie is the evidence that the Deniers are not confused or mistaken, they are outright lying.
The sources from the 1970s that they cite as evidence talk about the scientific uncertainty about climate, not a scientific consensus on cooling. This is explored in much more detail with respect to George Will and the New York Times at The NYT’s climate coverage in 1970s was a megaphone for science, not ‘global cooling’ alarmism.
Penn and Teller, Inhofe and George Will, out and out lying (but then Will has been lying about climate for quite a while, see “Triumph of the Will-bashing“).
You can see potholer54′s other videos at potholer54′s Channel
A lot more debunking of this nonsense
- The Myth of the 1970s Global Cooling Scientific Consensus (paper is also available as a pdf here and here).
- Myth: They predicted global cooling in the 1970s - RealClimateWiki
- Myth: ‘They predicted global cooling in the 1970s’ Coby Beck
- Myth: They predicted global cooling in the 1970s New Scientist
- The global cooling myth
- Myth: Scientists predicted an impending ice age in the 1970′s
- A New Ice Age
- Was an imminent Ice Age predicted in the ’70′s? No ent.
- Killing the myth of the 1970s global cooling scientific consensus
- The myth of the 1970s global cooling scientific consensus
- even USA Today covered it: Study debunks ‘global cooling’ concern of ’70s
Speaking of George Will
Some updates on Will’s most recent piece of blatant lying about climate and the subsequent furor. It seems that the Washington post finally got around to admitting the lies (not errors) with the publication of two rebuttals
- Climate Change’s Myths and Facts (also here My Washington Post Answer to George Will)
- Climate Variations Don’t Invalidate the Reality of Global Warming
… sort of. As Climate Progress reports “Washington Post publishes two strong debunkings of George Will’s double dose of disinformation” ; ie they don’t actually admit the lie.
This half hearted non-retraction has had rated some comment
Meanwhile, a bunny alerted me that, caught red-handed in flagrant lying, Will himself did the honourable thing simply repeated the lies and piled on a few more. I was afraid I would have to debunk this one, but delay has spared me the effort as Tim Lambert “George Will lies like a rug” and Andy Siegel “Will Continues Will-Ful Deceit” stepped into the breach.
Additionally, here are some other posts about the Will Affair that I missed earlier:
- WaPo’s Ombudsman throws a sliver of bone to reality while ignoring the lion’s share of complaints re: Will’s falsehoods
- Ice, Ice Baby: When Fact-Checking Is Not Fact-Checking
- George Will and the Global Cooling Scare
- George Will, Washington Post Mount Defense Of Widely Debunked Editorial [UPDATED]
- And the Kick Line Continues…George Will is a Glutton for Punishment edition.
- WaPo’s Ombudsman throws a sliver of bone to reality while ignoring the lion’s share of complaints re: Will’s falsehoods « The Way Things Break
Since it is a given that we can expect more lies from Will over time, all of the above links will be added to George F. Will goes platinum; bookmark it now, avoid the rush
We give our consent every moment that we do not resist.
Denier “Challenge” aka Deathwatch Update: Day 156 … still no evidence.