BPSDBOK, climate change denial has always been about politics, not science, but the climate change Deniers are expanding the scope of their lying and frauds.
Now they are forging letters allegedly from groups representing marginalized populations in an attempt to prevent any meaningful action on climate change. The letters to members of the U.S. Congress actually came from a Washington lobby firm.
“They stole our name. They stole our logo. They created a position title and made up the name of someone to fill it. They forged a letter and sent it to our congressman without our authorization,” said Tim Freilich, who sits on the executive committee of Creciendo Juntos, a nonprofit network that tackles issues related to Charlottesville’s Hispanic community. “It’s this type of activity that undermines Americans’ faith in democracy.”
“This was not a ‘mistake,’” wrote Freilich, who is also legal director of the Immigrant Advocacy Program of the Legal Aid Justice Center. “This was a deliberately and carefully forged letter that used the logo, address and name of Creciendo Juntos without authorization. Additionally, I understand from Ms. Hegyi that our organization was not the only Charlottesville-area organization whose reputations were used in an unauthorized manner to try to influence Congressman Perriello on this particular vote.”
Fortunately the story seems to be getting a lot of attention:
- Wonkette : Lobbyists Now Writing Fake Letters To Congressmen From Blacks And Mexicans, Telling Them Not To Vote For Things
- WattHead – Energy News and Commentary: Action Alert: DC lobbyists use naked fraud to oppose climate bill! Rapid response protest scheduled
- Lobby Firm Sent Forged Climate Change Letter To Congressman | TPMMuckraker
- Daily Kos: Forgeries to Distort Climate Change Debate?
- Congress To Probe Forged Climate Change Letters | TPMMuckraker
Of course this is just another chapter in the Deniers attempt to co-opt and appropriate marginalized populations for their own benefit. One of the more disgusting examples is an in production film “Not Evil, just wrong“ which will hopefully never be finished (see not evil just wrong and A chat with climate skeptics whose documentary calls Gore ‘not evil, just wrong’).
Or consider this example
“But Africans are being told they shouldn’t develop, or have electricity or cars, because rich country activists now say they are worried about global warming.”
“Africa’s real climate crisis” from Western Front America: “A Commentary and News Magazine From A Classical Western And Traditional American Cultural Perspective” Can you say ” ‘racialist’, not ‘racist’ “? I knew you could. Of course the fact is that marginal groups and peoples are the ones most at immediate risk from climate change. A sampling:
- ENVIRONMENT: No Hope for MDGs Without Climate Plan : Global News Blog
- Climate change knock on effects for women | Green Girls Global Blog
- BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Climate inaction ‘costing lives’
- Blog Action Day: Poverty and Climate Change
- Report: Global Warming Disproportionately Affects African Americans, Low-Income Communities : TreeHugger
- Climate Change and Displacement: Leaving Home for Nowhere | celsias°
- Climate change to hit 375 million by 2015: Oxfam — OneWorld South Asia Home
- Is There a Link Between Climate Change and Poverty? – Domestic Fuel
- The Borgen Project: Climate Change Affects World’s Poor
- ReliefWeb » Document » Suffering the science – Climate change, people, and poverty
- Falling Through the Climate Gap — In These Times
This is a topic area I hope to get into much more in the future. For now here’s someone who may know a little more than a bunch of well off white guys about the needs and aspirations of people of colour, Africa, and marginalised populations in general.
During warmer periods of Earth’s past, ocean upwellings were rare and the vast majority of the ocean was considered “stratified,” meaning that a pervasive, warm surface layer prevented cool and nutrient rich deep water from reaching the surface. Earth Gauge
We give our consent every moment that we do not resist.
Denier “Challenge” aka Deathwatch Update: Day 276 … still no evidence.
Comments that are not relevant to the post that they appear under or the evolving discussion will simply be deleted, as will links to Denier spam known to be scientific gibberish